One of the goals of our visitors center is to create a positive meeting point for Arabs and Jews through a wide variety of activities, such as our basket weaving courses and workshops. Jews and Arabs live side by side in the Galilee region of Israel but the separation policy and the ongoing discrimination keeps them away from each other and does not produce many opportunities for day-to-day interaction, deepening the already existing alienation and fear.
The meetings at our visitors center are therefore of great importance. Not only do the people who attend our workshops get to know each other and build cross-cultural bridges, they also help bring back to life traditional handicrafts using locally sourced materials, which provide the local Arab women with the opportunity to earn a living.
To learn more about our baskets and workshops, read the stories below:
- Humans of Sindyanna – Shirin and Chelli
- A Love Story in a Basket – Our custom order baskets in Japan
- Meeting the World at Sindyanna’s Visitor Center – Insaf’s story
- Weaving Her Own Future – Wahiba’s story
- A Mother and a Working Woman – Khawla’s story
- Weaving Baskets Later in Life – Fatmah’s story
- A Weavers’ Circle – Michal’s story
- Weaving Baskets of Peace – Haviva’s story
- Basket Weaving Course in Wadi Fouqin – Workshop for local women
- Weaving for a Brighter Future – basket weaving as a leading program
- Belongings + Sindyanna – Bird’s nests woven out of palm fronds